Friday 19 July 2013

Training in Lahad Datu, Sabah (July 13-14 2013)

As a trainer for the last 18 years, I have travelled extensively throughout the country conducting training programs either for companies or organised public workshops.  The only one state that I have not been to was Sabah.  So when a request finally came through for me to travel to the state to conduct a session, I was delighted as I thought it would be nice to visit Kota Kinabalu again after all these years.  The last time I was in Sabah was way back in 1972 when I was sent by my company to do a research on touristic spots in East Malaysia as part of our promotional exercise to our clients in Europe and the States. However, for this time, I was asked to conduct my training program in Lahad Datu.    Understandably I was a little concern about my safety especially after the recent incursion on the place by those Suluk militants from Philippines.

Anyway, I took it in my stride and proceeded with my travelling plans.  Upon arrival I found out that the incursion actually took place a 100 kms from where the town is.  English is not widely spoken as everyone speaks BM (but sounded more like Bahasa Indonesia to me).  Most of the retailers are Indian Muslims and Pakistanis involved in textile trade and money changing.

The Lahad Datu airport terminal reminds me of a single storey bungalow house and is about a 3-minute drive to town.  The taxi fare from the airport to the town is RM10.

Herebelow, is a video and some photos on Lahad Datu.






From my hotel room window

The sales staff of Sabarice (read Sabah Rice) Sdn Bhd

With Ms Martina Ganis, Asst Manager - HR & Admin, Sabarice Sdn Bhd


No comments:

Post a Comment